Monday, April 12, 2010

A Fruitful Semester

Finally, done with my thesis and off for printing in a few hours time. I can do nothing but thank God for every step of this wonderful journey, because compared to many of my peers I probably experienced the least pain and most enjoyment doing this work. Too many of them are on Facebook articulating their worries since January, and the fact that I don't share their stress levels was often pretty worrying in itself. But I can only thank God for carrying me through in such a marvelous way.


This semester was a pretty amazing one for me really. It started out on the wrong foot, with misinformation among my peers in Sociology leading to a fragmentation of relationships that culminated the moment I got involved. The Honors Thesis was a means of hiding away admittedly, though in retrospect it was probably a better option than confrontation. An anxiety regarding family finances drove me to start working at a restaurant nearby for pocket money among 4 out of 5 of my weekdays, which God very kindly provided for the ideal opportunity. This led to some people interpreting that I was avoiding the Honors Room, which I didn't want to explain because I'd have to tell the world how broke I was, which wasn't something I was ready to do anytime.

But God's blessing continued to pour down! I had opportunities to work with migrant workers (which aided my Honors Thesis, even though it wasn't in the exact context), listen to their life stories, their worries and their difficulties. I learned the ropes of managing a boutique restaurant which my bosses left me in charge ever so often once the lunch crowd died down. Washing hundreds of dishes and cutlery, mopping the floor, wiping windows, sweeping leftovers (sometimes spittoon!) into my hands from the tables, dealing with extremely nasty customers who let lose their insults probably because of stress from work etc., all became a daily affair. It got so bad that in 2 and a half months, I became the most senior worker in the restaurant because even migrant workers couldn't take the workload. And thus the "promotion" to assistant manager for a mere salary of $5.50 an hour, of which I knew nearly everything in the restaurant except cooking, salary distribution and permit application. There were nice parts though. Some customers would mistake me for the boss, some of them would throw in a tip, and once in a while, some rich guy with a really pretty lady would come in. Those so pretty that one will never see walking on the streets or using public transport. Oh and yes, I could eat as much as I wanted after work ended at 3pm. +)


Despite all these, I still managed to go to the gym twice to thrice a week, reach home at 5-6pm and work on my thesis till late at night. Sundays were all spent in church, and after that in the other church where I helped out in the migrant worker service and did my research at the same time. Somehow, God magically produced time for me to do my Social Movement readings, and concentration to do my Business Consultancy readings during class itself. As I look back, it was truly amazing. Of course, other responsibilities were dropped or laid back, e.g. Youth leadership, Campus Crusade and Honors Representative. Friendships with peers in school were sacrificed, especially those from the same major, and a few from Campus Crusade too, all due to the lack of maintenance. But I did get to know my very nice supervisor better, who was all too happy to give tips on traveling in New Zealand during consultation.


In retrospect, I think I did live this semester fruitfully. And only through His guidance was it possible. I can't say in words how good He is, it's something one has to taste for his or herself.






It's strange though, despite how good God has been, even so recently, it's still difficult to trust Him for the next step.






Lord, take my anxieties away, and let me hold on to Your never-failing promises.

Amen!





P.S. For those whom have not been informed or aware, in thanksgiving to God for placing me on the Dean's List last semester, anyone I know who comes into the restaurant where I'm working from 11-3pm every weekday except Wednesday gets one free meal! Or if you come with a bunch of friends I don't know, then I'll give you all a big discount instead (unless your friend is a pretty girl who's single LOL) . So far only 3 people have taken up the offer, and it ends when I leave in end April! :) Oh and if you want to come, come after 1.45pm when the crowd has died down and the place is more conducive. I might be in the kitchen washing dishes, so if you don't see me, do pop in to look for me! +)


For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through Him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God. -Paul (2 Cor 1:20)

No comments: