Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gridiron Gang or Whitewashed Wussies?

I just watched Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson star in the movie "Gridiron Gang". It's a fantastic movie, arguably the best I've watched for a long time. (The last "best" movie I watched was "The Shawshank Redemption" back in the last century, that's how long) It is a beautifully inspirational movie so moving that by just watching it as a 3rd party I actually wanted to be someone like that, a counsellor for the boys who really need somebody in life.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend that you do. But for the benefit of those who cannot afford to do so whatever the reasons, let me summarize the movie a little. "Gridiron Gang" is about a counsellor and disciplinarian in a juvenile home who, with the help and advice of his mother, begins to start a football team in order to built unity and esteem among the boys who are sent there. He encounters many problems and obstacles, but his determination finally gives the team an opportunity to play with the other high school teams. They go through a number of losing games and the team is just about to give up hope on one another before they finally work it out among themselves and soon they get on a winning streak with a few other significant events to bond them even closer.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is already a famous figure due to his wrestling career and his acting skills are an additional reason to why he is also popular as an actor. He is extremely inspirational in this movie and really garners the respect of the delinquents sent there. Despite losing and facing really tough obstacles, he maneuveurs the team to success, and their victory brings tears to the eyes of viewers. Even Gina was cheering the team on every match throughout the movie!

Sometimes such movies bring memories and dreams back to me. I've always wanted to be someone inspiring, someone who can encourage and bring out the best in people. I've considered being a counsellor, pastor, teacher and psychologist, but somehow my studies don't seem driven towards those careers. But it is so heart-warming to give people hope and let them know that there is a meaning to life, to let them feel that they can contribute something and that someone out there loves them and depends on them. I don't want to be someone who sits in the office and deal with monetary issues all day, nor do I want to be building tall skyscrapers. I don't want to sit in a lab and do research all day, nor do I want to meet people and sell them products I don't believe in.

I want to make a change in people's life. An impact they will never forget. THAT is life. THAT is love.

P.S. Go watch Gridiron Gang. You won't regret it. And you don't have to understand American Football to know what the hell's going on.

No comments: