Saturday, September 19, 2009

Rejection and Humility

Tonight was the first time in my life I ever rejected a pretty lady.

I must have look really forlorn standing along the wall looking at all the professionals salsa-ing the night away. There were a bunch of girls standing and waiting for guys to pick them up, and there I was, the ONLY guy NOT dancing. Must have gotten lost studying the cross and twirls, trying to see where and how I could blend all the basics I had learned together.


Then one of the ladies whom I've identified earlier as one of the more advanced students came up to me and ask, "Erm... Do you want to dance?"



In a fluster, I came up with what was a half-truth, but pretty horribly delivered.

"It's okay, I'm waiting for my friends to come. Prefer to watch them dance anyway."


Truth was, I was indeed waiting for my friends to come. In the end, they didn't.

The not-so-truth part was, if I had a choice, I'll prefer to dance the night away. I was only watching because I so dearly wanted to be better. And to be wholly honest, I didn't think she'll really like dancing with an amateur like myself.



But hardly any lady will reject a guy's offer to salsa, unless it's really urgent, like she has to go to the toilet or something. Even if she's tired, she'll still be only too happy to dance. (Don't ask me why, I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe girls really DO like to be asked. Maybe that's why players are still so successful.)


What more, if a lady asks a guy to dance?


I felt so embarrassed after that I hid myself at the back room with a bottle of mineral water for at least two songs.





Then a moment of reflective truth hit me.



This is exactly how I behave in real life.




If I think I'm not good enough, I'll never even attempt to pick a girl up unless I think I'm at least as good as she is, in whatever way I feel is significant.



It's no wonder why so many cultures and civilizations have ritual dances to pair up couples. The more I dance, the more I realize how much dancing can reveal about one's personalities.




Remarkably, I've been praying very hard for God to give me humility. There's something not very humble about the way I am, not one bit obvious in my cordial relationships, but reserved for some of those whom I know intimately. Seems like God is pinpointing something that I need to correct. And I think it's a little bit more intricate than just the simple word of "pride".





Opportunity dances with those who are ready on the dance floor. -Colette Dowling

True humility pervades all relationships, not just those which the audience can see. -Valentino Casanova

No comments: