Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Woman Behind the Warrior

One thing I love about war movies, is how they draw out the warrior within. I know it sounds kinda silly, but often I wish there was a battle to fight. Not that I don't have my battles now, given the similar trials and temptations that befall any ordinary man, but somehow, it's just... different.

I've been watching a ton of war movies lately, and I find something very similar among all the heroes of the show I've been watching. Every male hero has a remarkably strong woman behind him. No, it doesn't mean that she kicks ass and does kungfu, but she is an unusual source of strength even when she's miles away.

Maybe it's Hollywood providing a sense of gender equality. Or maybe it's just my preference. Or maybe the directors and actors are just that damn good. But nonetheless, I agree wholeheartedly with them and their story-lines. A good wife is a must-have, and the impact on her man is way greater than she herself could possibly imagine.

Does it seem like a mere coincidence that before great men fall in glory, a woman always comes to their minds? Though I've never felt like that, I think that it is highly possible.


So, a tribute to the women behind some of the greatest heroes in movie history (as depicted in the movies I've watched). I think if such women really exist, I'll chase them in a heartbeat. See if you can recognize them.




The greatest driving force of a hero that God provides for, is more often than not, a woman he loves. The greatest weakness of a hero that God allows for, is more often than not, also a woman he loves. -Valentino Casanova

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
-King Lemuel (Proverbs 31:10)

No comments: