Sunday, May 31, 2009

Exam Results

My results are out, and to be honest it was unexpected. Subjects that I expected to do well in I didn't hit my target, and those I was prepared to S/U turned out amazingly fantastic. But all in all, this is my best semester yet.

JS2226: Global City Tokyo A
MNO1001: Human Management and Organization A-
SC3202: Modernization and Globalization A
SC3206: Urban Sociology A-
SC3219: Sexuality in Comparative Perspective B

If there is any secret dissatisfaction, it comes from the fact that a cap of 4.5/5.0 is no sure sign that I'll get into the Dean's List this semester. And it is also probably the last chance for me to ever get into the Dean's List too. But oh well. I should have saw it coming the moment I got the SC3219 module. The lecturer is gay and fanatically anti-Christ, while I apparently attract unwanted attention from gays and make sure I wear my cross for everyone of his lectures. I also take my seat no further than the fourth row right in his face. My current reputation in the Sociology department adds to my notoriety, so that adds up to the possibility of me being targeted.

Or I could be thinking too much.

But honestly, a B for a Sociology module?? It's my lowest grade for any Sociology module, and the last B I got was Data Analysis, of which I couldn't do statistics for nuts that's why I deserved that grade. Nonetheless I should have seen it coming anyway. Should have done some other more harmless module like Sociology of Science and Technology (which would have bored me to tears) or Sociology of Food (like "huh"). Shouldn't have been so arrogant as to think that since I got an A+ for Sociology of Gender that the result should grant me the virtue of thinking I can score equally well for Sexuality.

I should have known that the statement "Christianity is against homosexual acts but not homosexual identities" would have alerted him. There is only one person in the entire 200-strong cohort who would dare to state that in the final exam paper worth 40%, and he knows who. Everyone else would write that homosexuality is oppressed by Christianity which wields its power as a dominant religion to marginalize identities, acts, lifestyles, etc. Yes, I do understand that Christianity marginalizes homosexuals, and yes I do agree. But completely? If there is any learning perspective that I have gained in Sociology, I've learn to by critical of judgments that make sweeping statements. There are Christian denominations that accept homosexuals and even various forms of homosexuality, even if I personally don't agree with them.

Forgive me Sir. I cannot and will not write what I do not believe in. If you will allow your narrow-mindedness to influence the way you mark the essays, I'll gladly take the B and hold it close to my heart, even if that one grade destroys my hopes of getting into the Dean's List.






And forgive me Lord, if my mind has been so clouded by not being able to hit the Dean's List that I forget that this has been by far my best semester in NUS ever. Forgive me for all the bitching and complaining when comparatively my thanksgiving should be the one taking up WAY more word space. All glory to You and You alone. +)






To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, to live gratitude is to touch Heaven. -Johannes A. Gaertner

No comments: