Friday, February 27, 2009

The Secret of Giving

"The Shawshank Redemption" has to rank among some of the best films I've ever watched in my life. Every single word in the film is laden with strong, sincere meanings, and Morgan Freeman has the most sage-like voice. But the most heartwarming thing is the friendship between Red and Andy. And of course, the beautiful hope that Andy brings to life inside a prison with absolutely no hope of parole. But of course, this post will have no meaning to someone who hasn't watched the film yet, so I shan't blabber on. Do watch it.

However, one point of the show struck home hard. Andy told Red to go look for something after Red had been given parole and released. I shan't spoil it for you by telling you what it is, but it saved Red's life in such a beautiful way. What it did was to teach me something that I have been contemplating about for some time. When we do something beautiful for someone, something sincere, from the heart, we don't have to sign it with our name. In our current generation, time passes so fast and we worry that these little meaningful things that we do will be forgotten, therefore we write down our name so that the person will remember us should he or she look back into his or her little treasure box. In the culture that we live in, we do these little things out of love, but behind our minds we hope that it forms a bond, a show of goodwill, with a tiny glimmer of expectation of a returned favor in the future to come.

When I do nice things for people, I always sign my name. And I take pains to ensure that I have a beautiful signature, clear and legible so that people will remember that it is from me. When I do nice things for people, I expect, deep inside, for something in return. The more the person means to me, the less I expect in return, but regardless of the status, always something. A smile perhaps, or a shimmer in the eyes. Maybe even, a shiver of anticipation, and a joyful skip. At the very least, a minimum "thank you" as a reply would suffice my efforts.

But if that is the case, how come some of the most meaningful things to me in my little treasure box have no names on them? I remember exactly who they are from, what they were for, and what they intended to mean. How come in the movies, the most romantic gifts are those when upon receiving, the giver is not physically present, but he or she so fills the mind of the receiver? How come some of the strongest friendships in life are built without a word of thanks, but simply a small action, a tip of the hat, and a self-satisfied smile by the giver?

Movies that touch our hearts have lessons that hit home. If there is one thing I learn so late in my life, is that the most beautiful gifts, the most meaningful actions, the loveliest words, are given without signing our names behind it, and without expecting anything in return. Not a single thing. Before the receiver can even understand what is going on, or what he or she did to receive such a present or favor, all the giver has to do is smile and walk away. By the time the receiver understands, the giver is gone, with his hands in his pockets and his smile towards the sky. It means up to oh so many times more to the giver when the receiver finally understands that he or she did nothing to deserve such a wonderful gift, but is loved by someone. And God rewards the giver in ways even words cannot describe.

This must be one of the greatest secrets in life. That under the act of giving anonymously lies one of the most hidden keys to joy. A contradiction in itself, for often the law of economics and scare resources only leads most of us to the conclusion that a sacrifice is required when we give something to someone else. But God was never governed by the laws of mathematics. Instead, the Bible says in Acts 20:35 that it is more blessed to give than to receive! How simple, yet how profound! It is easily understandable, but not easily carried out. And sometimes when we give in manners such as these, we think to ourselves, "Did they get it? Do they know if it's from me? What happens if they mistake the gift to be from someone else, and become very nice to an undeserving other? What happens if that undeserving other claims credit for it? Would I have wasted my efforts?"

If I may testify, such thoughts will never disappear. But one thing is sure, their effect will decrease gradually as we give more and more. And one fine day, they will entirely lose their hold on your conscience. Giving will become naturalized, a part of your life. And should that appreciated other smile in return, it doesn't become something that you had expected all along.

It becomes a gift from the other, and the cycle repeats itself, just as God did not make the rainbow to be a semi-circle, but a perfect, beautiful circle.

No comments: