Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Sound of Heaven

Have you ever wondered what Heaven looked like? I mean, we have all read Revelations, but in terms of physical description, John probably did well do keep it to a minimum. It was probably too beautiful to describe anyway. But have you heard a sound of Heaven, I wonder? No, not with your eyes, but with your soul.

Let's me try my best to bring it across to you. I don't mean you'll necessarily understand what I'm talking about, but I'll try anyway.

The thing that has mesmerized me most about God is His beauty. Most people focus on His grace, His holiness, His mercy. All fair and good, depending on your life experiences and personal preference. But beauty, this tear-jerking characteristic, is often overlooked in my opinion. During the song-writing workshop I organized in December last year for the youths in my church, I constantly emphasized on beauty. One would be unable to write a poem, a song, a verse, unless one is so overwhelmed and inspired by the beauty of the subject.

Alright, back to the topic of having a glimpse of Heaven.

There's this advantage of serving in a worship band as a worship leader or a musician. Having been born and bred in a small church, one has the privilege (and burden, sometimes) of having much more exposure to the music ministry. So this year, I'm celebrating my 10th year in the church's music ministry. Very happy. Also means time to mature to a whole new level of bringing the ministry out of the church and into the streets. But that's for another post.

During these 10 beautiful years, I have heard the occasional sound of Heaven during worship. When, you might ask. When I hear the people singing with all their hearts. It's a beautiful sound. With my eyes, I see nothing really special. People lifting up hands, eyes closed and mind focused on God; in some Pentecostal Churches that's actually a common sight. It's more rare on the Anglican side admittedly, but it's really nothing special.

This piece of Heaven comes by what one hears. As a worship leader, I'm often VERY tempted to just shut up, put the mic away, step down from the stage and worship with the crowd. When the music fades, and the pure sound of voices remain, THAT my friends, is a glimpse of Heaven. I can't explain it much more, you can also get a glimpse of it when you watch live concerts by pop idols and rock bands, especially when the fanatic crowd knows the lyrics of the song so well and sing with whatever they've got. It's not exclusive to Christian worship, that I concede. But then again, because it exists outside of the church too, no one in this world can say that God never gave them a glimpse of that, unless one is deaf for that matter. And even then, deaf people can "feel" such voices with their sense of touch; the "shiver down your spine" effect is still latent.


I used to have this crazy idea that in Heaven, all the best worship leaders on Earth over history would be chosen to lead the entire billion-strong audience with their voices, all the best musicians flamboyantly spinning their instruments, all the greatest sound men in the background making the necessary dynamic changes etc. And during my younger heydays, I would dream of being at least among the "Top 10 Worship Leaders in Earth History" or "Top 10 Musicians in Earth History" chosen to sing in Heaven. And if not, at-least-put-me-in-the-gospel-choir closest-to-the-Throne kinda attitude.

Cute huh? But now as I grow in my walk, I think that's going to be pretty unnecessary. Heaven is going to be filled with people who are just going to spontaneously burst out in songs of praise, dancing in the streets leading to a massive outdoor hall where everyone is jumping and singing and playing whatever instruments they can carry. No worship leader or scheduled musician will be necessary, just a gathering of pure hearts.

Have you ever been in a worship session where you just didn't want it to end? Or have you been in the midst of a throng of voices united as one, often without music, without flamboyant displays, no leading voices, and yet felt your hair stand on end?

Then my friend, maybe you have had a glimpse of Heaven too.





We talk about Heaven being so far away. It is within speaking distance to those who belong there. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people. -Dwight L. Moody

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. -Peter (2 Pet 3:8)

No comments: