Thursday, January 14, 2010

God's Weighing Scales

Sometimes, I look at the couples around me and I see how the potential of some great men are stifled by their wives, and how the inner beauty of some great women are crushed by the lack of appreciation from their husbands.

I sighed. Then again, I asked myself. Who am I to judge?


Then the debate restarts itself. Did God really prepared someone out there for each one of us? If so, then how do we explain the skyrocketing number of divorces? Does God make calculation errors? Or could He be evil and sadistic? Are the divorcees to blame for disobedience? Did they commit some great sin to deserve such an end to their relationships?

Or could God be giving us the freedom of choice to pick our mate? Could He love us so much that when it comes to matters of love, He chooses not to intervene? If so, would we not be lying if we try to convince ourselves and those around us that He indeed has someone prepared for us? Does the man who picks a woman to be his wife for her beauty rather than another for her godly character disobey God's Word in Proverbs 31? Is the woman who picks a man to be her husband for his money rather than another for his fear of God destined to join him in a worship of Mammon?



I suspect the answer is somewhere in the middle, and it requires an understanding of "time" from God's perspective. But even then, it gives clues to the idea that man will never fully understand God's definition of justice and fairness.



But maybe we could exercise a little caution and skepticism when someone says that "God has a special someone out there prepared for you". After all, the world is evidence itself of the huge number of Christians who might say that they want a partner of godly character, but eventually compromise and get together with a person who falls far short of the expected target i.e. the "perfect" one God had in mind for those He loves.



It would be even more tragic if before that, he or she rejects a whole bevy of eligible partners who would, using God's weighing scales, put the eventual "chosen one" to shame upon comparison.






I'm sure God uses a measuring stick, and I'm positive that the Bible talks clearly about the units of His measurement. However, I'm not so sure how He defines justice, even though my faith continues to holds me to the belief that He must be good. -Valentino Casanova

Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting. -Daniel (Daniel 5:27)

No comments: