Thursday, December 04, 2008

Satisfaction and Wanting It All

In response to Koino and Fellow Prince, although written by a girl who more or less sums up the contradiction that goes on in a girl's head, is also the contradiction that goes on in any Christian's head.


Isidora expresses her incompatible wishes in an inner monologue:

Me: Why is being alone so terrible?
Me: Because if no man loves me, I have no identity...
Me: But you know that you'd hate to have a man who possessed you totally and used up your breathing space...
Me: I know - but I yearn for it desperately.
Me: But if you had it, you'd feel trapped.
Me: I know
Me: You want contradictory things.
Me: I know.
Me: You want freedom and you also want closeness
Me: I know.

-Erica Jong-


Courtesy of the pageant queen of my NUS freshman year. And who ever said beautiful people couldn't think.

We want contradictory things. And sometimes, moral values don't seem to fall on either grounds. Let God decide? Maybe these isn't even a decision in this. Maybe living with the contradiction is the essence of the Christian life itself.

No comments: