Thursday, August 06, 2009

Beauty and the Perfect Christian Lady

School is round the corner and... I kinda feel unprepared for this final lap.

Maybe the internship had me drained out, and I haven't recovered my enthusiasm and energy yet.

Maybe watching my dream of a beach/shopping holiday melt in front of my eyes has left me unfulfilled.

Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping early recently, especially after reinstalling old games into my laptop that I know I don't really want to play.

Maybe I haven't been preparing my heart and dedicated the next semester to God yet.

Maybe it's a combination of all of them.







I want to write songs. Sing them. Share them with the world.



It's good to see David go for a mission trip, but also sad because he's such a reliable pillar in the worship team. Some dreams like that can take a slight backseat when key personnel disappear.

The Fire Fight has just finished their first full album! I can remember when Nick first introduced the band to me. All of the guys are younger than me, so much more lively, so much showmanship, it was hard not to like. I've linked the website of their new album Henri on my blog. Do listen to their songs if you have the time. One thing I admire about their songs is, coming from different church bands, how they incorporate Christian lyrics discreetly, something like what Switchfoot does. Sound like love songs, but again, not the type that the world knows of. They probably got their chord influences from Electrico with all the 2 chords like C2, F2, D2 etc. My favorite chords, because they have a tinge of melancholy and not too much emo. They make you think of a love lost, a time in the past, hope for a reunification or better days to come. Even the storyline of their album is so cute (obviously targetting the female population) with the theme of a bear trying to save a decadent city from destruction only to have to save himself, a comparison and analogy of our struggle with sin in this life.

But most of all, there is so much focus on beauty, something that in all the world's discussion about the necessities of Christianity, remains forgotten. Jesus, I believe, came to restore God's holiness on Earth by focusing on the beauty of God e.g. the Spirit over the law, the heart over the rituals, quiet submissive obedience over zealous legalism.

Over Coca-Cola, chicken fillets and pasta courtesy of Reynard, some of the Crusade guys gathered for a get-together at his place. And of course, the usual talk about soccer, computer games, school and God filled most of the conversations. Oh, and girls of course. How could I ever leave that out? It's strange, but I remember our conversation being left hanging upon stumbling over a certain "revelation". That there are almost no exceptionally beautiful (inside and outside) Christian girls. My church girls are too few to cause an uproar after reading this, (LOL) but I think the Crusade girls are not going to forgive me for revealing this. But I guess since the Crusade guys did not argue against it, it probably means that they're more or less in agreement or have no opinion. We did agree that there are ALOT of handsome (inside and outside) Christian guys around though. WAHAHAHA!

I have this weird theory that a Christian girl who truly loves God probably doesn't see a need to prim herself or make herself attractive so as to attract guys because she probably believes that God will present the right man to her in His time. If she's exceptionally beautiful (or at least makes a positive effort to present herself as such), she'll probably be snagged by a non-Christian guy before she even establishes the former-mentioned level of faith. Even if not snagged, she'll probably be led out of church, given the number of suitors available who'll court her with so many sweet compliments that before long her life revolves around herself, and God is taken out of the picture before long (pull factor). Or the rest of the jealous church girls will just label her a slut for attracting so many of their men (push factor).

So there. Prove this weird theory wrong.

If it isn't the norm, then men like Billy Graham would not be counted "exceedingly blessed" to have an exceptionally beautiful wife who truly loves God with all her heart. Because they are just so so rare, no?






If it's what they say, that the beauty God truly and only prioritizes is in the heart, then why did He think it worth spending the space of an entire book of the Bible describing in the most vivid and colorful manner the absolute physical beauty of a woman, and at most a few chapters and verses on the heart? -Valentino Casanova

All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you. -God (Song of Solomon 4:7)







P.S. By reading Song of Solomon, I've already found a way to topple the weird theory. I'm just interested to know what you all, guy and girls respectively, really think about this. If there is no argument or defence, I'll leave the weird theory to stand. +)

No comments: