Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Chosen Ones

Some of the most wonderful story-lines in books and movies are adapted based on the concept of the "Chosen Ones". The Lord of the Rings, where Aragorn and Frodo each are chosen, one as a king and another as a savior. The Matrix, where Neo is also the chosen savior of mankind from the machines. Even the X-men, where their powers automatically place them as "Chosen Ones" differentiated from the rest of humankind.

Today Vicar briefly mentioned this verse from Matthew 22:14,

Many are called, but few are chosen. (NKJV)

I never really took notice of this verse. Taking a theological stance similar to that of Calvin's concept of predestination i.e. that God has already chosen those who'll join Him in the kingdom to come, I usually left it as that. I mean, what can one do about this? If God chooses, then who am I to argue?

During cell group however, my mind was flinching. Could there be another intepretation?

So I went home, looked up other translations of this verse. I like Eugene Peterson's The Message version the best:

That's what I mean when I say, "Many get invited; only a few make it."

Now, that makes more sense to me. Immediately what came to mind was Singapore Idol. One thing that the judges look out for, is the desire to win. They want contestants that'll fight hard, keep on improving, who are creative and willing to experiment with new things, whose minds are firmly set on the prize.

Of course, I can't totally reject the theology of predestination, after all it's in Romans 8 and Ephesians 1. But using my "sanctified imagination", as Vicar likes to call it, I think God anoints and reserves special blessings for those who "make the cut". And I don't think He has a regional quota e.g. Must have 20 from Singapore, 500 from USA, 300 from Korea, or goes by a clear, definable quality standard e.g. must be married, read Bible everyday, pray 3 times a day etc. But one thing I know for sure, He only selects the very best.

God's criteria is often much different from the criteria that the world gives. I think God knows the hearts and struggles of every believer around the world, and I'm sure He contextualizes His blessings to the needs and wants of those He chooses to anoint. To be honest, I was constantly drifting on and off from the last 15 minutes of cell group material after that thought. In my mind was one big question, am I good enough to be chosen? Have I trained hard enough, is my character well-tested enough, am I suited for the sufferings and hardships that will come my way? Most importantly, deep inside me, do I really want to win?



I don't want to simply be one of those called or invited. I want to be one of those chosen. Some say if you call yourself a Christian, you're chosen.



I don't think so. I think God has much higher standards than those that the church in Singapore today offers.




I want to be among the Chosen Ones. I want to be told "Alright, you're through to the next round."




The question now is: How?




Many are called, but few are chosen. There are sayings of Christ which suggest that the Church He came to establish will always be a minority affair. -Edward Norman

Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.
-God (Isaiah 48:10 KJV)

No comments: