Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Justice of Academic Results

Valentino has met people who didn't give two hoots about God and yet still aced their examinations.

Valentino has met people who blasphemed God and yet topped the entire level.

Valentino has met Christians who backslided by not coming to church, deciding instead to sacrifice the time of fellowship for studying for their papers, and then did so well they concluded that God didn't exist.
But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape. (Malachi 3:15)

What shall we say about such things? That God is unfair? That God is blind? That there is no such thing as justice in this world?


An interning colleague of mine was absent from school for more than 5 weeks because he lied to the principal about having H1N1. The principal knows that he was lying; after all, the entire list of H1N1 sufferers were made available and accessible to them, updated daily. But she let him go ahead and "quarantine" himself at home, even after the quarantine law was dropped. And no, he didn't stay at home either. He knows, and admits to me, that he can feel that the school doesn't really want him back.

But the best part of it? He was still paid every cent, collecting the same amount of allowance as me and the other interns and contract teachers, who did not miss a single day of school.


A good friend of mine showed me the Facebook profile page of one of his pals, a model and a self-proclaimed badboy. Of course, my friend wanted to prove to me that good boys finish last, and I must say, it was one of the better examples that I have ever seen. As I read his pal's wall posts, I immediately passed the judgement that he was embarrassingly childish and his flirtation skills were really low-class. His nick even read, " XX wants to be faithful, but he can't keep his hands out of the cookie jar."

But the best part of it? It didn't take a super sleuth for me and my friend to find that a guy like him was drawing the attention of an astonishing number of beautiful (and straight) ladies to himself. Girls of all variations of beauty and intelligence had fallen victim to his "charms".


Even as I told my friend to forget about it, I couldn't help wondering why life was seemingly so unfair. I know some friends who study really hard for their examinations, and still screw up. I know friends who really want to be doctors, to serve society, only to have problems getting into polytechnic. I know girls from STC whom I interact in class with who want to break out of the mire of "uselessness" and "despondancy" but no matter how hard they try, other obstacles like family, teachers and friends limit their abilities.




Then a small voice spoke.


Why do you question My judgements? Why do you doubt that I have the best plans for your life, as well as the lives of those who honor me?

Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. (1 Sam 2:30c)

Why Lord, do you allow the wicked to prosper and bless those who hate you?

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)
Who are you to act as judge? Are you the one who created the Heavens and the Earth? Are you the one who breathed life into dust? Are you the One whom I have anointed to rule forever? All I require of you is to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with Me. You act justly in your life, I will take care of the bigger matters out of your control.




I have to remember that one of my biggest testimonies, ironically, started out as one of my biggest failures: My A-levels.






I have never met anyone who put God first and screwed up a major exam so badly that five years later he or she can say that God screwed up his or her life because of it. -Valentino Casanova

Would you discredit My justice? Would you condemn Me to justify yourself? -God (Job 40:8)

No comments: