Saturday, July 11, 2009

Physical and Spiritual Health

The prayer item for the youth leaders today is for good health. Surprisingly, quite a number of people around me, especially my female friends, are suffering from bouts of poor health. Quite a bad time too, considering that the war against the H1N1 epidemic has been lost.

I'm reminded of EDWY's article on 10 July about how sin and physical sicknesses sometimes have links. Not saying that all sicknesses are definitely caused by sin, but that sin can result in the manifestation of certain sicknesses.

Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. (Psalms 32:1-4)

EDWY talks about how back pain, for example, is the mind's convenient way of diverting attention from the realm of emotions, and that everything medical is influenced in some ways by the emotions. Repressing emotions through silence is never a good idea, that's why verbal confession may be shameful but I believe it aids the release of emotions so that the process towards true repentence may begin.

If there is anything I thank God for, it's for the fact that my emotions are pretty stable 95% of the time (emo included). The only bad thing is that during that remaining 5% it gets really bad. Then I can be quite sure that I'll fall sick. But I don't stay sick for long, because I like to talk, and I'll pour it out to anyone who'll listen me. So... I don't get sick often, and if I do it doesn't last too long so much so that I can consider myself anything close to "sickly". Bad emotions often signals a lack of a certain virtue, be it anger (lack of love), jealousy (lack of contentment), pessimism (lack of hope), doubt (lack of faith), sadness (lack of joy), turmoil (lack of peace), bad-temperment (lack of patience), violence (lack of gentleness).

So if you are going through sickness right now, it'll be good to do a little bit of soul-searching. Maybe there is something, a negative emotion that you're struggling with, that you might need to give up so that healing can come. I won't be so daring as to short-change God's power to heal with such an obstacle in your life, but I do believe that He sometimes prolongs them, just short of holding back the Angel of Death, so that we will change, or at minimum, be aware of the residency of such negative emotions that affect our walk with Him.









AHHH!! Worship leading debut for main service in a few hours time. Nervous!! Excited!! I wonder if the effect on the body of these two emotions will cancel out each other.












Sometimes, it isn't the sickness that is contagious. Negative emotions are equally, if not more easily caught on from others.
-Valentino Casanova

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. -James (Jas 5:14-16)

No comments: